Development of the Wilson area began in
1954 when the State Housing Commission resumed some land and T.M.
Burke Pty Ltd subdivided some adjoining land. In December 1954,
the Canning Road Board proposed the area be named Wilson Park to
commemorate Mr G.H. Wilson, a late member and Chairman of the
Road Board for a period of 43 years and also an extensive
landholder in the area, as the late member of Wilson and Johns
Pty. Ltd. Florists and Nurserymen. This name was to apply to the
overall area of both developments, but the State Housing
commission wished to designate their area as Beeloo, an
Aboriginal name recently adopted as the name of the local
Electoral District. Dispute over the name continued for over
three years, and it was not until January 1960 that the name
Wilson was approved for the suburb.