Rossmoyne is a suburb within the City of Canning. Rossmoyne is
located 14 kilometres south of central Perth, and is bounded by
Leach Highway to the south, and Bull Creek to the west, the
Canning River to the north, and Shelley to the east. The
name Rossmoyne derives its origin from the desire of a developer
for a good promotional name. In 1937, the developer, V W Webb
and his family made a trip to Scotland and on their return,
sought a promotional name for some of their Rossmoyne land.
Mrs Webb coined the name Rossmoyne, a
euphonic name with no particular background, although connected
with the trip to Scotland. The name was used for an estate put
up for sale in 1955 and soon became the commonly used suburb
name for this area. By 1959, development had progressed
sufficiently for the Canning Road Board to seek official
recognition for the name Rossmoyne. The name was approved in
February 1960 and gazetted the following month.
The name Rossmoyne was devised in 1937 after the land developer
V W Webb and his family made a trip to Scotland. The name has no
connection with the area but was thought to be suitable for
marketing a subdivision in 1955. The use of the name as a suburb
was approved in February 1960 and gazetted the following month.
Rossmoyne's shopping centre, Rossmoyne Village, includes an IGA
supermarket, a liquor store, 'Flames' Cafe, a Chinese
restaurant, a hairdresser, a Post Office/Newsagents, a butcher,
John Hayes & Son real estate agents and Antonio's, a
pizzeria/bakery. Public tennis courts and a bowling club are
located nearby. Local students attend Rossmoyne Pre-Primary,
Rossmoyne Primary School and Rossmoyne Senior High School, a
high school that has won many awards.