This suburb derives its name from its
location on the banks of the canning River. The area was
subdivided in 1914, and Riverton was referred to locally as
Riverton Bridge in 1937 to avoid confusion with the South
Australian suburb of Riverton. This name was never formally
approved and officially the suburb has always been Riverton.
Riverton is situated about 14 km or 15 minutes from Perth. The
Canning River makes some of its north eastern boundary. It is
part of the City of Canning, situated south east of the Swan
River. The main roads that pass through Riverton are Leach
Highway, High Road and Roe Highway.
The suburb began by a subdivision in 1917. It was referred to
locally as Riverton Bridge in 1937 due to the old timber
Riverton Bridge that crosses the Canning River to the suburb,
and to distinguish it from the South Australian suburb of
Riverton has its local library with recreational facilities
known as the Riverton Leisureplex. There is Stockland Riverton
shopping centre, often referred to by its former name of
Riverton Forum, which provides locals with everyday essentials.
There are two primary schools; Riverton Primary School and Queen
of Apostles Primary School. The suburb has no secondary schools.
Adenia Road Park
Adenia Road Park forms part of the Canning River Regional Park.
It includes the Canning River, Adenia Park Lagoon, natural bush
walk paths, dog exercise area, bike path, lookouts and a
playground. It links between the Canning River Regional Park in
Ferndale and the parkland beside Riverton Bridge.
Clune Park is an area located in Riverton, managed by the City
of Canning. In 1928, the Christian Brothers purchased 62.4
hecatres (160 acres) of land just east of the Riverton Bridge
naming it Clune Park. Clune Park is named after the Catholic
Archbishop Patrick Clune.