Parkwood was first settled by Henry Willett of Willett &
Co, who was granted Canning Location 21 on the Canning
River (which included nearby Lynwood) and settled in the
area in June 1832. In November 1964, the Shire of
Canning proposed the names "Burtsdale" and "Willetton"
for Willetton and Lynwood/Parkwood respectively, the
name Burtsdale honouring Septimus Burt, who purchased
the land in 1882. In August 1965, developers at Lynwood
requested the name "Clovercrest Estate", but finally
agreed to "Lynwood". The name Willetton was shifted
westwards and Lynwood was gazetted in December 1965.
Parkwood is bounded by High Road to the north and
northeast, Nicholson Road to the east, Roe Highway to
the south and Willeri Drive to the west.
Parkwood is a residential suburb with a scattering of
parks of varying sizes. It contains Lynwood Senior High
School (1974) and Parkwood Primary School (1975,
originally called West Lynwood), which contains one of
Perth's seven primary-school-level Intensive English
Centres. The program is designed to assist refugees,
displaced children and others with low English literacy,
many of whom have special needs.
The Stockland Riverton shopping centre, located in
northwestern Parkwood on High Road, is near the Canning
Arts Centre and the Riverton Leisureplex. The Riverton
Leisureplex is a large facility with sporting, fitness
and recreation facilities first opened on 9 November
2001, is operated by the City of Canning and includes
the council's largest library. The building was designed
by the architectural firm James Christou and Partners. A
tavern, the Riverton Gardens Hotel, is located on land
used until the early 1980s as a public golf course.
The southeast is served by a neighbourhood shopping
centre and community and sports centre, which back onto
Whaleback Golf Course, an 18-hole public golf course.
The facility first opened on 9 January 1981 on a buffer
reserve between the Canning Vale industrial area and the
housing developments in Parkwood and Lynwood, and was
significantly upgraded in December 2002.