In November 1964, the Shire of Canning proposed that this area
be named "Willetton" after Henry Willett of Willett and Co."
Early landholders in the area. In August 1965 the Shire advised.
that the Realty Development Corporation Ltd had requested the
name "Clovercrest Estate" but that neither party would object to
the use of the name Lynwood instead of "Willetton". This
amendment was approved in 1965 and the name "Willetton" was used
for an adjoining locality.
Lynwood was first settled by Henry Willett of Willett & Co, who
was granted Canning Location 21 on the Canning River (which
included nearby Parkwood) and settled in the area in June 1832.
In November 1964, the Shire of Canning proposed the names "Burtsdale"
and "Willetton" for Willetton and Lynwood/Parkwood respectively,
the name Burtsdale honouring Septimus Burt, who purchased the
land in 1882. In August 1965, developers at Lynwood requested
the name "Clovercrest Estate", but finally agreed to "Lynwood".
The name Willetton was shifted westwards and Lynwood was
gazetted in December 1965. Parkwood was part of Lynwood until
In the 1960s and 1970's, Lynwood and neighbouring Parkwood were
largely settled by new migrants from the United Kingdom who
arrived in Perth seeking economic prosperity. Large parcels of
land were developed by the British firm Realty Development
Corporation (RDC) and heavily marketed to the new English
migrants upon their arrival as 'home & land packages'.
Lynwood is bounded by High Road to the south and south-west,
Nicholson Road to the east and Metcalfe Road to the north and
north-west. The Canning River is about 300 m (984 ft) north-east
of the suburb's boundary.
Lynwood is a residential suburb with a series of parks
connecting along Bannister Creek and parallel to Nicholson Road.
It contains a small neighbourhood shopping centre and community
hall, as well as a primary school. Lynwood Senior High School is
in nearby Parkwood and was built in 1975.
The Riverton Forum and Westfield Carousel shopping centres are
less than 2 km (1 mi) away, as is the Riverton Leisureplex, a
large facility with sporting, fitness and recreation facilities
first opened on 9 November 2001, operated by the City of Canning
and including the council's largest library. Parkwood Shopping
Centre was built in 1979, but has recently been demolished due
to low patronage and now only consists of a few convenience
stores and a small medical clinic. The Lynwood Arms Hotel, a
local pub on Metcalfe Road, has been in existence since the